Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I hate people.

Every time I'm in Toronto for an extended period of time, say, over three weeks, I begin to go stir-crazy. And as I type this, I do feel a pang of guilt - it's nice being close to my family again, and having the modern conveniences of a toaster oven (in my apartment in Montreal, the oven works well enough to not necessitate a smaller version), television, the piano, and counter space. But at the same time, while in Montreal I don't get the experience the bliss of reclining in a comfy armchair watching Stephen Colbert, cup of tea in hand while the rest of my family is asleep, I have found myself going slightly stir crazy here. Perhaps because in Montreal, I am walking distance within EVERYTHING, and it always seems worth the trek, or because I know that just a few streets away, my similarly unemployed and broke friends are always up for sitting around talking.
I am stressing that there is nothing here to stress out about.
How did I used to do it, all those summers ago when I was in my mid-teens and never had to worry about things like jobs, when if somebody blew me off for the day, I would be content to sit inside and watch terrible day-time television for hours on end? In the past two weeks, I have formed an all-too-intimate relationship with Regis and Kelly that I would prefer to break off as soon as possible.


I actually think this town is making me a more awful person. Impatient, bitter, mean, FATTER BY THE HOUR, and just way more insecure and self-loathsome. I attribute it to the general atmosphere, the hours spent cooped up at home being less than productive...

Sorry, guys. This is my wallow post.

But the next time I write I will be back in Montreal, so hopefully I will be a much easier person to deal with then.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

you need a hobby.

and just think... you could be stuck in BOLTON.

dried said...

feel free to spend a day at work with me. I'm delivering stuff to macmaster tomorrow, probably leave sometime b/w 830 and 9.

Jessica said...

I have a hobby. I bake/cook things that nobody in my family eats, because they all seem to be on some sort of low-carb, low-sugar, "if it has a drop of butter I can't eat it this week" diet.

I also do journalism --- when there is work for me to do.

I'm glad I'm not in Bolton.

Abood said...

Jess! We shall be reunited soon! ...and all live happily ever after!

Also, I've been thinking: we should travel together someday.